Sunday 31 August 2014

The "Lionel Richie" Phase: My go-to guy for Romantic songs.

Hello? Is it me you're looking for?..... but let me start by saying I love you.

If you were alive in the 90's or just a romantic, the lyrics above shouldn't be such a mystery. He was probably the most played musician during those times and before.

Grammy winner, golden globe winner, four decades of music-making and numerous mentorship roles on today's popular artists, Lionel Richie has excelled where most have feared to go. He didnt care that LOVE was such a cliche topic to sing about. He never found ways of camouflaging it. He did it raw and dirty and it paid off. To this day, he is the go-to-guy for a romantic songs. Having a chilled romantic dinner? Driving your date to or from a date? Looking for music to create a romantic atmosphere? With you loved one? Put on some Lionel Richie because you know he wont disappoint.

I went through my "Lionel Richie" phase when I was about 15 years roughly 5 years ago.  I had just fallen in love for the first time and all i could bring myself to listen to was Lionel's songs. My first love was sweet and his songs were the soundtrack to my life. I was completely obsessed with the notion of love (still I'm, but in a more mature way) and I remember the one person that understood me fully was him. Of course, that phase ended but his music stuck with me.

The famous Eight letters, Three words made him a legend for decades to come.
Image courtesy Google.

 My top 10 favourite songs by him and what ideally you should have are (not in any particular order) :  

 "Say you say me"




"Hello"



 "Stuck on You"





"All Night Long" 



 "Easy"



"Endless Love" feat Shania Twain


"I call it love"



"Three times the lady" 


"Just for you" 


"Just go"



This ten songs did it for me. So what are you waiting for all you romantics at heart? Listen to a bit of Lionel Richie tonight, tomorrow and the next day just to warm your heart and brighten up your day.

Happy Listening. 
Esther xx



No comments:

Post a Comment